Thursday, March 29, 2012

Getting started... My story

I live a dream. I am married to the most wonderful guy. He loves me and always puts my wants and needs above his own. We have seven children. They are all good kids. Our oldest is married now. Two are in college. We have one in high school and one in junior high. They would not appreciate me sharing anything about them or their lives and I will not be doing that. I will mainly be blogging about my two youngest children and the joy and challenges they bring.


Tate is ten years old. He has autism. The doctors call it "high-functioning" autism. He is verbal and has a lot of strengths. However, autism is autism. It means he thinks with a concrete mind and has few social skills and a lot of trouble processing information. Too much language that comes at him too fast keeps him from learning much in a group setting. Most of what he knows, he has learned one-on-one. He has trouble remembering that others have feelings, wants, needs, or thoughts. This keeps him from making and maintaining friendships. Autism also means that Tate wrestles with some obsessions and behaviors that are stereotypic of autism. My world revolves around Tate. He holds my heart in his hands.


Sydney is eight. She is our only adopted child. She was born in Russia. Sydney has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, ADHD, and an anxiety disorder. Medications have helped tremendously. Sydney is in first grade for the second time this year and is doing so much better the second time. She makes me proud and she keeps me laughing, as almost everything that comes out of her mouth is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment